Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a leading company in CRISPR genome engineering located in Berkeley, CA. Caribou's tools and technologies provide transformative capabilities to therapeutic development and the Company is advancing an internal pipeline of gene-edited cell therapies for various oncology indications. The seven-year-old company has developed a best-in-class CRISPR genome engineering technology platform and has a leading intellectual property position.
We are seeking an Executive Director/Vice President of Business Development to lead business development and partnership activities including strategic out-licensing of Caribou’s CRISPR genome engineering technologies and therapeutic assets, as well as in-licensing of new therapeutic technologies to support the expansion of Caribou’s cell therapy pipeline. This role will drive corporate growth through new partnerships and collaborations that broaden and accelerate Caribou’s assets. The successful candidate will possess a keen business sense, an ability to source, negotiate, and close deals, and proven critical and strategic thinking utilizing data and analytics for decision making. This role will report to the CEO.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Identifying and evaluating potential new business opportunities to partner the Company’s therapeutic product candidates and/or technology platforms
- Sourcing, developing, structuring, and negotiating business and financial terms for in-licensing and out-licensing transactions
- Working cross-functionally with Company leaders in research, development, finance, and legal to support and drive Caribou’s business development strategy
- Evaluating and developing in-licensing opportunities, including conducting research and analysis to vet and validate ideas and opportunities
- Developing and delivering impactful presentations to key internal and external potential partners and stakeholders in support of business development initiatives
- Analyzing and assessing marketplace using financial and forecasting models
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with external targets aligned to business opportunities
- Coordinating and participating in due diligence processes
- Leading sourcing and evaluation of out-licensing opportunities, proposing deal structures, developing negotiating strategies, examining risks, and closing new business opportunities with support from Caribou’s Legal Department
- Developing and maintaining out-licensing revenue forecasts with the input of the Company’s management team and Finance Department
- Preparing and communicating business development pipeline to Caribou’s management team
- Supporting evaluation of in-licensing/acquisition opportunities, pushing forward to execution as appropriate
- Mapping and analyzing future commercial markets and timelines, including coordinating with external providers to source market research data
- Developing and maintaining competitive intelligence insights and communicating this information to management
- Representing Caribou with a high level of business integrity while adhering to all Company policies, procedures, and business ethics
- Approximately 5-15% travel time required
Candidate must possess:
- BA, BSc, or equivalent; a degree in the life sciences is preferred; a PhD is preferred
- MBA or equivalent business/financial experience strongly preferred
- 8+ years of business development experience in the biotech or pharma industry
- Demonstrated ability to close deals, with a track record of success
- Collaborative working style with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience negotiating intellectual property licenses as licensor and licensee
- Proven experience structuring collaborations and managing alliances
- Solid understanding of the drug development process; experience in gene and cell therapy development preferred
- Thorough understanding of industry trends and competitive landscape
- Ability to influence others to reach common goals and facilitate decision-making process
- Experience in an external facing role
- Confident, proactive approach and capable of taking the initiative
- Analytical and financial modeling skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of intellectual property, patents, and contract law
- Ability to effectively communicate and influence a broad variety of stakeholders from bench scientists to management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Significant attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects in parallel with consistent high quality
Personal attributes: team player, talent for networking, driven, passionate, curious, ability to deal with uncertainty, strategic thinker, effective problem solver, analytical, knowledge of underlying technology, business acumen
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a dynamic start-up company, and the successful candidate must have the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment. For more information, please visit www.cariboubio.com. Caribou is on Twitter. Sign up to follow our Twitter feed @CaribouBio.
Caribou offers a comprehensive compensation package, as well as generous paid time off in addition to Company-observed holidays. The Company provides medical, dental, and vision insurance, along with a 401(k) retirement savings plan which includes matching employer contributions. Caribou promotes a culture in which employees are respected and rewarded for hard work, innovation, personal initiative, and teamwork.
Caribou is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding), genetic information, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law. In addition, Caribou prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the basis listed above or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Direct applicants only. No agencies please.