Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a leading clinical-stage CRISPR genome editing biotechnology company located in Berkeley, CA. Caribou's tools and technologies provide transformative capabilities to therapeutic development and the company is advancing an internal pipeline of genome-edited cell therapies for various oncology indications. Caribou was founded in 2011 by CRISPR pioneers including Nobel Prize winner Jennifer Doudna, PhD, Martin Jinek, PhD, and Rachel Haurwitz, PhD, our President and CEO. The eight-year-old company has developed a best-in-class CRISPR genome editing technology platform and has a leading intellectual property position.
At Caribou, every employee is valued for their unique perspective, background, and diversity. Every person on the Caribou team contributes to problem solving and innovation. The Company’s vision is to advance agile genome editing innovations for the benefit of our communities.
Caribou Biosciences is seeking an Executive Director/Vice President of Business Development to lead BD and partnership activities. The role is responsible for strategic out-licensing of Caribou’s CRISPR genome engineering technologies and therapeutic assets; in-licensing new therapeutic technologies to support the expansion of Caribou’s cell therapy pipeline; and seeking innovative partnership opportunities. This role will drive corporate growth through new partnerships that broaden and accelerate Caribou’s assets.
The successful candidate will possess a keen business sense, an ability to source, negotiate, and close deals, and proven critical and strategic thinking, while effectively utilizing data and analytics for decision making. The successful candidate has the ability and desire to work in a scientific, dynamic start-up environment. The role reports to the CFO and initially will be remote, with the expectation that business development will return on-site sometime in 2021.
- Provide leadership in developing and executing a business development strategy
- Identify and evaluate potential new business opportunities to partner the Company’s therapeutic product candidates and/or technology platforms
- Source, evaluate, develop, structure, negotiate and close business and financial terms for in-licensing, out-licensing, and partnership transactions
- Negotiate out-licensing of CRISPR-Cas9 intellectual property controlled by Caribou, including that licensed by Caribou from The Regents of the University of California and the University of Vienna, in a variety of fields of use
- Perform appropriate risk assessments as part of deal process
- Work cross-functionally with research, development, finance, and legal to enable and drive a successful business development strategy
- Develop and deliver impactful presentations to key internal and external potential partners and stakeholders in support of business development initiatives
- Analyze and assess the marketplace using financial tools and literature
- Establish and foster relationships with external targets aligned to business opportunities
- Coordinate and lead due diligence processes
- Develop and maintain out-licensing revenue forecasts
- Routinely prepare and communicate business development updates and opportunities to Caribou’s Executive Leadership team
- Map and analyze future commercial markets and timelines, including coordinating with external providers to source market research data, building necessary financial models, and other necessary actions to stay abreast of business development opportunities
- Develop and maintain competitive intelligence insights and routinely communicate this information to leadership
- Represent Caribou with a high level of business integrity while adhering to all Company policies, procedures, and business ethics
- Travel of up to 25% (post-Covid expectation)
- 8+ years of business development experience in the biotech or pharma industry
- MBA or equivalent business/financial experience strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, in the life sciences preferred; PhD a plus
- Experience negotiating intellectual property licenses as licensor and licensee
- Demonstrated ability to close deals, with a track record of success
- Collaborative working style with internal and external stakeholders
- Proven experience structuring collaborations and managing alliances
- Solid understanding of the drug development process; experience in gene and cell therapy development preferred
- Thorough understanding of industry trends and competitive landscape
- Ability to influence others to reach common goals and facilitate decision-making process
- Comfortable with an external facing role, independently networking and initiating productive communications
- Confident, proactive approach and capable of taking initiative
- Analytical and financial modeling skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of intellectual property licensing agreements
- Ability to effectively communicate and influence a broad variety of stakeholders from scientists to senior management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Significant attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects in parallel with consistent high quality
- Personal attributes: team player, talent for networking, driven, passionate, curious, ability to deal with uncertainty, strategic thinker, effective problem solver, analytical, knowledge of underlying technology, business acumen
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a dynamic start-up biotechnology company, and the successful candidate should have a passion for science and a desire to work in a collaborative environment. Caribou promotes a culture in which employees are respected and valued for hard work, innovation, personal initiative, and teamwork.
Caribou compensation and benefits:
- Comprehensive compensation package including stock options
- Generous paid vacation time in addition to Company-observed holidays
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan including matching employer contributions
- Tuition reimbursement program
For more information, please visit www.cariboubio.com. Caribou is on Twitter. Follow the Company @CaribouBio.
Caribou is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding), genetic information, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law. In addition, Caribou prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Direct applicants only. No agencies please.